- Presentation | Exploring how children’s conceptions might advance through their implicit knowledge provides a fundamental view into children’s mathematics and elucidates possible alternative definitions of “learning difference (LD)”. I present an evolving theoretical framework that depict...
- Presentation | Cognitive differences intrinsic to children with learning disabilities (LDs) have historically led to deficit assumptions concerning the mathematical experiences these children “need” or can access. We argue that the problem can be located not within children but instead as...
- Publication | In this study, we challenge the deficit perspective on mathematical knowing and learning for children labeled as LD, focusing on their struggles not as a within student attribute, but rather as within teacher-learner interactions. We present two cases of fifth-grade...
- Presentation | This 2018 AERA structured poster session shed light on the DR K-12 portfolio of transformative research in online and blended teacher professional development.
National Survey on Supporting Struggling Mathematics Learners in the Middle Grades: Executive SummaryPublication | This executive summary captures the results of the National Survey on Supporting Struggling Mathematics Learners in the Middle Grades, a study designed and conducted by EDC. T
- Tool | CLP contains seven tools for use in creating visual representations, as shown in examples. More details about using each tool follow these examples.
- Tool | Funding for the National Science Foundation (NSF) is contingent on legislative support. Because of this, it is important for NSF awardees to communicate with legislators about the value and importance of their projects.
- Publication | This resource provides access to a classroom video of a lesson from the project's middle school ecosystems unit, and the related student scaffold and scoring rubric.
- Publication | This resource provides access to the entire middle school ecosystems unit, along with the EQuIP review.
- Publication | This blog post includes the link to 4 videos of teachers using the project's middle school ecosystems unit.
Science as experience, exploration, and experiments: elementary teachers’ notions of ‘doing science’Publication | This study begins to reframe the deficit approach to research in science teaching by privileging the experiences elementary teachers have had with science – both in and out of schools – throughout their lives. This work demonstrates that teachers’ storied lives are...
- Publication | In this article, authors introduce the design of a science teaching video club and present a study of its implementation.
Teachers’ Noticing of Students’ Thinking in Science Through Classroom Artifacts: In What Ways Are Science and Engineering Practices Evident?Publication | Building on the work of teacher noticing, this study investigated teachers’ noticing of students’ thinking evident in artifacts from their science teaching context.
- Publication | The study examines geometry teachers' video club discussions in a two-year professional development intervention that combined lesson study, video clubs, and animation discussions to promote teacher noticing of students' prior knowledge.
- Publication | This chapter focused on learning and teaching measurement.