NCTM Mission Statement
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics is a public voice of mathematics education, supporting teachers to ensure equitable mathematics learning of the highest quality for all students through vision, leadership, professional development, and research.
NCTM Vision Statement
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics is a global leader and authority in mathematics education, ensuring that all students have access to the highest quality mathematics teaching and learning. We envision a world where everyone is enthused about mathematics, sees the value and beauty of mathematics, and is empowered by the opportunities mathematics affords.
NCTM Foundational Priorities
- Curriculum, instruction, and assessment: Provide guidance and resources for developing and implementing mathematics curriculum, instruction, and assessment that are coherent, focused, well-articulated, and consistent with research in the field, and focused on increasing student learning.
- Equity: Advance knowledge about, and infuse in every aspect of mathematics education, a culture of equity where everyone is empowered by the opportunities mathematics affords.
- Advocacy: Engage in public and political advocacy to focus policymakers and education decision makers on improving learning and teaching mathematics.
- Professional Development: Provide professional development to all stakeholders to help ensure all students receive the highest quality mathematics education.
- Research: Ensure that sound research is integrated into all activities of the Council.